[pypy-dev] Stackless Python and PyPy Stackless.py

Gabriel Lavoie glavoie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 01:14:57 CEST 2009

2009/9/28 Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com>:
> I am very interested, I thought to do something like it. Where could I see
> your code?
>
> On Sep 28, 2009, at 10:04 AM, Gabriel Lavoie wrote:
>
>> Hello Andrew,
>>    I'm currently experimenting with PyPy's implementation of
>> Stackless to add new features for a university master degree project.
>> I chose PyPy's implementation because it's easier to play with Python
>> code than with C code. Also, since PyPy is "still experimental", it
>> was the best implementation to choose to hack with and I don't regret
>> my choice. What I'm trying to achieve is to add distributed features
>> to Stackless:
>>
>> - Local and networked channels with automatic switch between both
>> - Easy tasklet migration to a remote host, keeping the channel
>> connections between tasklets.
>> - Transparent/automatic dependencies migration when a tasklet is sent
>> to a remote host.
>>
>> Most of the features are done and I'm currently working on the
>> dependencies migration. The only bad part is that I'm doing this
>> project part time since I have a full time job but I have to complete
>> the programming part in the next two months (I've been working for too
>> long on this).
>>
>> If you're interested to see what I've done, just ask! :)
>>
>> See ya,
>>
>> Gabriel
>>
>> 2009/9/25 Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi Folks:
>>>
>>> Again as a part of my Stackless Python talk, I wanted to include a
>>> section on the "Future." I assume a part of Stackless Python's future is
>>> PyPy? Or am I being presumptuous?
>>>
>>> Regardless I would like to end the talk with a brief section on PyPy. I
>>> noticed the Stackless.py module in lib that contains the Stackless
>>> implementation in Python.
>>>
>>> What I plan to do in my talk is show how a rough approximation of Limbo's
>>> alt (selecting the first ready channel from a list) could be implemented.
>>>
>>> I am a newbie in regards to PyPy. However I have been reading the
>>> Stackless documentation. I thought it would be neat if I ended the talk with
>>> redoing this, but in PyPy as a part of how one could quickly prototype new
>>> Stackless Python features. Any thoughts? Is there anything gotchas?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Andrew

>> --
>> Gabriel Lavoie
>> glavoie at gmail.com
>
> --
> Leonardo Santagada
> santagada at gmail.com

I still haven't shown publicly my work. I'll try to quickly prepare
something this week with my current test code samples and a quick
description of the API. I think the code quality is pretty bad as this
is my first real Python project. My priority is to have something that
works before doing a big cleanup.

Gabriel

--
Gabriel Lavoie