[pypy-dev] benchmarking input

René Dudfield renesd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 12:58:19 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think richards does not reflect what they do at google (like pickling :-)

Hi,

yeah, their project goals are to speed up things that are interesting for
them.  Not to speed up things in general - but to speed up google projects
running on python.  ie, they want to speed up their own code mostly.  They
also run a number of python projects test suites, and use them to benchmark
too.  I imagine they benchmark google apps internally too.

their recent talk describes their recent work - and also the work of
speedups like the wpython project:
    http://unladen-swallow.googlecode.com/files/Unladen_Swallow_PyCon.pdf

wpython:
    http://code.google.com/p/wpython/

http://wpython.googlecode.com/files/Beyond%20Bytecode%20-%20A%20Wordcode-based%20Python.pdf

The programming language shootout tests would seem a useful set of
benchmarks to compare against other languages.
  eg.
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=pypy&lang2=python&box=1

Note, they have old pythons there... that is cpython 2.5.2 and pypy 1.1 in
their comparisons.

cheers,

ps.  happy happy jit!!  great work.