[pypy-dev] Advice for a talk...

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Sep 30 10:46:47 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

I don't know if it's a good idea to continue saying that our JIT is
"Psyco-style".  Mostly it's not :-)  It's a tracing JIT now.

"The prototype JIT compiler ran programs X times faster than CPython"...
Assuming you are now talking about the new JIT compiler, I suppose that
such impressive numbers could still be true, but more importantly it now
starts to actually run larger benchmarks with "a good speed-up".  I
would say that it's around the speed of Psyco, even a bit better in
general, except that producing the assembler from the PyPy JIT still
takes far too much time for now.

Other random notes:

* I would kill "logic programming".

* As Maciej pointed out, having "high performance GC" was moved to the
  background for now as our existing GCs, although admittedly simple,
  perform well enough.

A bientot,

Armin.