[pypy-dev] ongoing microthread discussions

Kevin Ar18 kevinar18 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 15 02:24:20 CEST 2010

You may want to broaden your candidates. Jython already supports multiple cores with no GIL and shared memory with well-defined memory semantics derived directly from Java's memory model (and compatible with the informal memory model that we see in CPython). Because JRuby needs it for efficient support of Ruby 1.9 generators, which are more general than Python's (non-nested yields), there has been substantial attention paid to the MLVM coroutine support which has demonstrated 1M+ microthread scalability in a single JVM process.

It would be amazing if someone spent some time looking at this in Jython.

For me, anything based on the Java VM or copyleft code it out of question.  However, you are quite right in that it is not necessary that I use PyPy.  For example, if Unladen Swallow had the primitives I needed, that would be great too.

As a side note, PyPy does have two advantages: speed and that it is coded in RPython: which might even allow me to just hack PyPy itself at some point. :)

BTW, thanks for the suggestion.  Now that you brought up the topic of different implementations, I should probably check on what is going on in regards to Unladen Swallow, etc....