[pypy-dev] which xml libraries? was (Re: PyPy 1.4 released)

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 00:34:54 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 08:13, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc
> <amauryfa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2010/11/30 Paolo Giarrusso <p.giarrusso at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> As a matter of fact, however, pyexpat is not involved here for PyPy,
>>> and here (v1.4) it is still implemented through ctypes (in
>>> lib_pypy/pyexpat.py), and not in RPython in pypy/rlib/.
>
> It's also module/pyexpat and not rlib (rlib is for RPython libraries)
>

>> Did you compile pypy yourself?
>> if the expat development files are present, the translation should build the
>> pyexpat module:
>> Python 2.5.2 (79656, Nov 29 2010, 21:05:28)
>> [PyPy 1.4.0] on linux2
>> <module 'pyexpat' (built-in)>

My apologies, I self-compiled PyPy and I get the output you describe indeed.
Therefore I guess that the ctypes implementation I come across in
lib_pypy/pyexpat.py is probably a fallback - in case only the library,
but not the headers, are present.

Anyway, this does not interact with benchmarks above - Stefan, I still
don't get why you complained that pyexpat is slow by showing
benchmarks for another module, I guess I do not understand your email,
but it asks "reasonable?" after Amaury talks about pyexpat.

I'll try to benchmark it soon; a reasonable way to call pyexpat would
make it simpler since I have limited time and mental energy to devote,
and figuring out a non-stupid way to use it might be non-trivial
without learning to use the library.

Best regards
--
Paolo Giarrusso - Ph.D. Student