[pypy-dev] setrecursionlimit deprecation?

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 19:16:32 CET 2010

On 11/12/10 18:32, Armin Rigo wrote:

> But then people are going to complain that their app seems to hang up
> on pypy, and neither they nor we have any clue what is going on ---
> until we figure out that they used sys.setrecursionlimit() to put a
> bound on recursion and catch the RuntimeError.  That's at least the
> reason for which I suggested that calling sys.setrecursionlimit()
> should at least print a warning.  Now I agree that maybe the message
> of the warning is not the clearest one.

I was about to propose to change the message into something like
"sys.setrecursionlimit is ignored by PyPy".  I think this is already an
improvement over the current message, but has the drawback than then people
will complain that pypy might run out of stack (which is false, but not
apparent by the warning message).

Also, we should maybe change the class of the Warning. IIRC,
DeprecationWarning is going to be ignored by default on python2.7, which means
that most people won't see the warning at all once we merge fast-forward.

ciao,
Anto