[pypy-dev] setrecursionlimit deprecation?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Dec 12 15:14:05 CET 2010

Hi Dan,

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I originally wrote the code (
> http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/~strombrg/treap/ ) for CPython, where
> the recursion depth was too low out of the box.  It sounds like on
> pypy, I might actually be decreasing the recursion depth.
>
> There probably should be a "set recursion depth to at least..."
> function.  Or I should getrecursiondepth and inspect before
> "increasing".

PyPy throws a RuntimeError anyway when the stack is getting too big,
i.e. when it uses more than N kilobytes.  On the other hand,
setrecursiondepth() on CPython (and previously on PyPy) is based on
counting the recursion depth, which is a different measure which only
approximates the real stack size.  We decided that it doesn't make
sense to provide both on PyPy, so we killed the one that is an
approximation (and makes the JIT a little bit slower).  That's all.