[pypy-dev] Idea for speed.pypy.org

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 07:32:26 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Miquel Torres <tobami at googlemail.com> wrote:
> @Maciej: it doesn't make a lot of sense. Looking at this graph:
> http://speed.pypy.org/comparison/?exe=2%2B35,4%2B35,1%2B172,3%2B172&ben=11,14,15&env=1&hor=false&bas=none&chart=normal+bars
>
> slowspitfire is much faster than the other two. Is that because it
> performs more iterations?

I think it's apples to oranges (they have different table sizes and
different number of iterations)

> Also, how come pypy-c-jit is faster than cpython or psyco precisely in
> cstringio, where performance should be dependent on cstringIO and thus
> be more similar across interpreters?

because having a list of small strings means you have a large (old)
object referencing a lot of young objects, hence GC cost. It's not the
case with cstringio where you have a single chunk of memory which does
not contain GC pointers.