[pypy-dev] Mercurial workflow

Alexandre Fayolle alexandre.fayolle at logilab.fr
Thu Dec 16 09:12:10 CET 2010

On Tuesday 14 December 2010 23:53:41 Joe wrote:
> In reference to MqExtention, I've used Stacked Git (a git equivalent)
> in the past, and would generally advise against this.  I like to
> commit after I get a piece of something working, so I know I can go
> back to that point if I try something and it doesn't work out.
> Stacked Git makes this hard.  In my opinion, you're essentially
> by-passing a benefit of a scm tool.
>
> I wouldn't advise people to use MqExtension unless they understand
> that if they make a mistake they must undo it manually.

Hi there, my 2 cents

As Adrien said you can manage the patch repository itself with mercurial, so
that you can quite easily undo changes that don't work for you.

Also, the hg qimport command is a very useful one which enables to convert
changesets to patches, which can be qfold'ed in a single larger but cleaner
patch.

In the end, all boils down to the style of changesets you want to see in the
official repositories : lots of very small changes, with broken intermediate
steps, trial and errors etc. or larger cleaner commits, which deal with a
single idea and are much easier to peer review. This is not for me to decide
for pypy, and both approach have benefits and drawbacks. It is however imho a
worthwhile question.

Kind regards,