[pypy-dev] import errors when calling pypy

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Dec 16 13:08:09 CET 2010

Hi Arnd,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Arnd Rechenburg <
Arnd.Rechenburg at tomtom.com> wrote:

>  I have problems to start pypy.

It is explained (or rather, at least hinted) here:
http://pypy.org/download.html#installing

In more words, though, the important point is that you need to *not* split
up the zip or tbz2 archive that you are getting.  PyPy looks for its
libraries starting from the location of the "pypy" executable.  You can put
the uncompressed constant of the archive anywhere, but don't move "pypy"
outside it.  (It's fine to install a symlink to it from somewhere else.)

We may "rectify" this situation when we have more of a clue about the
directory layout that people would really expect, possibly including a
Makefile to perform installation, for example.  The current situation was
deemed sufficient so far.