[pypy-dev] Interpretor for vectorized langugage

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Dec 17 13:44:56 CET 2010

Hi Alex,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Regarding this - I was thinking about haveing a + b - c create a
>> bytecode that would be executed using small interpreter with a
>> jit-merge-point and a hint "can be vectorized".
>
> That seems like a pretty big special case, why not work at the larger idea
> of cross-loop optimizations?

We have cross-loop optimizations.  Unless I'm misunderstanding you, we
have already done it.  That's how for example map(f, somelist) gets
JITted: it is a small loop that contains a call to the "normal" loop
of the interpreter for f().  This is JITted as the loop from map()
containing inline code from the interpreter loop.

I am a bit unsure however what is being discussed here, because
fijal's comment is very terse and contains hidden issues, like when to
create the bytecode (at runtime? but how can it be a green constant
then?  And what is the hint "can be vectorized"?).