[pypy-dev] playing with fast-forward

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 12:35:05 CET 2010

On 18/12/10 23:58, Gary Robinson wrote:
> I'm experimenting with the fast-forward branch. I'm actually not sure about the proper way to get it. (I have the main branch working fine.)
>
> I downloaded a nojit version from http://buildbot.pypy.org/nightly/branch/fast-forward/ since I didn't see any jit versions listed there. I was happy to see that the method I care most about, multiprocessing.Pool.imap_unordered, seemed to work. But I want to test it with the jit.

consider that we don't have automatic nightly builds for fast-forward, so the
ones you find on that page are manually triggered, and possibly outdated.

> The page (https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/src/021b219e0aef) appears to be for the branch, but the mercurial URL shown on that page appears to be for the main project.

yes, if you clone the mercurial repo you get all the branches together.

> I tried the downloads under the Source pop-up menu. For some reason, I only sporadically am able to get a complete .gz file.** But I did get one.
>
> I was able to run:
>
>   python translate.py -Ojit
>
> successfully -- or at least it appeared so. But I couldn't find a bin/pypy to run!?

as suggested by Alex, you probably have a pypy-c binary in
pypy/translator/goal (I think that the translate script even says so, but I
agree that it produces so much output that it might be hard to stop the
message :-))

> Any suggestions how to run fast-forward with jit?

I don't know how the "download source" button of bitbucket works, so I'm not
even sure that you downloaded the fast-forward branch instead of the default one.

The best way is to do this:

$ hg clone http://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy
$ cd pypy
$ hg up -r fast-forward

Now you can go to pypy/translator/goal and run translate.py again.

ciao,
Anto