[pypy-dev] 1.4.1 threading

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 17:59:05 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 02:47, Dima Tisnek <dimaqq at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the RTFP pointer, the Triplett ref, hash tab via rt is
> really interesting!
>
> I think I'll have to read it again and again to get all out of it...

Ah, I remember that! Never found enough time to read up that... also I
remember that I didn't like it, at the time, because it seemed to give
a new name to existing design practice in the RCU community. I didn't
realize that even if the article just described existing work, the
generalization alone might be an important contribution.

> This brings me to a new question: how much is pypy python memory model
> allowed to diverge from that of cpython?

In fact, Jython and IronPython already have different memory models:
code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/MemoryModel

But the most important answer is that to avoid reinventing the wheel,
one needs to know the state of the art, i.e. the work by Sarita Adve,
Jeremy Manson, William Pugh and Hans Boehm on memory models for Java
and C++.

The simplest introduction I know of comes in this blog post by Jeremy Manson:
http://jeremymanson.blogspot.com/2008/11/what-volatile-means-in-java.html

As a matter of fact, this work is unsurprisingly often totally ignored
in many discussions about Python's memory model. I'm not surprised
because it's complex stuff, and understanding it doesn't matter for
today's Python programming.

The key concept of these models is that _properly synchronized_
programs get "sequential consistent" semantics: the programs behaves
as if all memory operations were interleaved in a total order on a
single coherent memory, without reorderings due to cache, compiler
optimizations and so on. Sequential consistency is the key property of
what you call "GIL-based monotonic world".
Exactly as you suggested for dictionaries, but more in general,
programs which are not properly synchronized (which exhibit so-called
data races) are more-or-less left on their own. On this topic, the
Java and C++ models are different, and that leaves a design space
open, but one which is already somewhat smaller, and which doesn't
affect the semantics of properly synchronized programs. Java tries to
define the semantics of data races, C++ just gives up.

* Unlike C++ and like Java, it is probably important to guarantee that
programs with data races (not properly synchronized memory accesses)
don't crash the interpreter or corrupt native memory.
You don't want native code in the interpreter to crash or to loop if
the programmer forgets synchronization - simply because that's very
difficult to debug, short of running a debugger on the interpreter
itself (or fixing the code without a debugger at all).

It is not clear, though, if one should give specific semantics to
programs with data races, other than ensure the interpreter doesn't
crash: basically it looks too complex. For whoever understands the
rest of the Java Memory Model, this blog post explains the semantics
they use to model this.
http://jeremymanson.blogspot.com/2007/08/causality-and-java-memory-model.html

* Another difference between Java and C++ is about security
guarantees: it is crucial in Java that untrusted code cannot read
sensitive data (e.g., a password) managed by trusted code, not even
through a data race. Some kinds of behavior would allow
"out-of-thin-air values", which in practice might be such sensitive
data, if memory is zeroed by the memory allocator but one thread still
sees the old value.

I believe the most up-to-date introduction, with a useful
bibliography, is by S. Adve and H. Boehm [1]. Then you will probably
want to read [2] and [3] about C++ and Java. Through Google Scholar,
you should find you copies of all of this on CiteseerX.
[1] Sarita V. Adve and Hans-J. Boehm. 2010. Memory models: a case for
rethinking parallel languages and hardware. Communications of the ACM.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.158.4288
[2] Hans-J. Boehm and Sarita V. Adve. 2008. Foundations of the C++
concurrency memory model. PLDI '08
[3] Jeremy Manson, William Pugh, and Sarita V. Adve. 2005. The Java
memory model. POPL '05.

> For example, dict lookups, etc, could be relativistic in the absense
> of explicit synchronization, that is, dict updates are not quaranteed
> to propagate [fast] until [some] therad acquires a lock [or
> something].

Talking about dictionaries restricts the scope unnecessarily. You want
to relax these requirement for memory operations in general.

> Would this be a worthwhile departure from GIL-based monotonic world?

Years of research agree the answer is yes, no doubt. Otherwise several
fundamental optimizations become impossible - including the usage of
memory caches.
To make a simple example, releasing a lock requires flushing pending
writes (i.e. a cache miss, ~100 cycles nowadays). Implementing
sequential consistency (what you term "monotonic world") means doing
that after _each_ memory write.
If you read Adve et Boehm [1], they'll elaborate more on the topic.

> That is thread-safe code, that uses locks or some other mechanism
> [known to pypy] would see operations timely and in order, while code
> that doesn't synchronize its operations may see somewhat outdated
> shared state, as if threads executed in slightly different global
> order.

Yes. However, the programmer can't and shouldn't synchronize, say, field
lookup, so those dictionaries (and only those) need to be thread-safe
- Jython uses a
ConcurrentHashMap for this purpose, even too that's too thread-safe
(there needs to be no thread-safety guarantee on the values of
fields).

> About profiling, how do I distinguish between attribute vs globals vs
> builtins lookups in the profile?

Others can surely answer better, since I don't know the code; I guess
I'd add a "type" field to the dictionary to store such information, or
maybe to the call sites, depending on what's easier to annotate; but I
also guess this naive solution could require lots of work.