[pypy-dev] array performace?

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 08:04:26 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Hakan Ardo <Hakan at ardoe.net> wrote:
> OK, so making an interpreter level implementation of array.array seams
> like a good idea. Would it be possible to get the jit to remove the
> wrapping/unwrapping in that case to get better performance than
> _rawffi.Array('d'), which is already an interpreter level
> implementation?

it should work mostly out of the box (you can also try this for
_rawffi.array part of module, if you want to). It's probably enough to
enable module in pypy/module/pypyjit/policy.py so JIT can have a look
there. In case of _rawffi, probably a couple of hints for the jit to
not look inside some functions (which do external calls for example)
should also be needed, since for example JIT as of now does not
support raw mallocs (using C malloc and not our GC). Still, making an
array module interp-level is probably the sanest approach.

> Are there some docs to get me started at writing interpreter level
> objects? I've had a look at _rawffi/array.py and am a bit confused
> about the W_Array.typedef = TypeDef('Array',...)  construction. Maybe
> there is a easier example to start with?

TypeDef is a way to expose interpreter level (RPython) object to
app-level (Python). It tells what methods there are what properties
and what attributes.