[pypy-dev] array performace?

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 10:16:13 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Hakan Ardo <hakan at debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a simple implementation of array now, wrapping lltype.malloc
> with no error checking yet (cStringIO was great help, thx). How can I
> test this with the jit? Do I need to translate the entire pypy or is
> there a quicker way?
>
>> there. In case of _rawffi, probably a couple of hints for the jit to
>> not look inside some functions (which do external calls for example)
>> should also be needed, since for example JIT as of now does not
>> support raw mallocs (using C malloc and not our GC). Still, making an
>> array module interp-level is probably the sanest approach.
>
> Do I need to guard the lltype.malloc call with such hints? What is the syntax?

I can see into making raw_malloc just a call from JIT. That shouldn't
be a big issue. For now you can either:

a) use from pypy.rlib import rgc and use rgc.malloc_nonmovable (not
sure if jit'll like it), so you'll get a gc-managed non-movable memory
b) just wrap call to malloc in a function with decorator
dont_look_inside (from pypy.rlib.jit)