[pypy-dev] EuroPython Talk on Stackless.py and Questions

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 19:57:46 CEST 2010

Hi Folks:

I understand that stackless is not high on the pypy team priority list but here goes....

My talk "Prototyping Go's Select for Stackles Python in Stackless.py" was accepted. I have never been to Europe. To date, I have been able to implement the Go Select like capability in a number of ways. Most recently I emulated the Plan9 approach which is pretty straight forward. I need to add the code for channel preferences and the channel callback so it is on par with the old stackless.py

Questions:

Where should I put the new code?
Are there regression tests for stackless.py

Right now, I am taking Stephan Diehl and Carl Bolz's good advice and using stackless.py with greenlets.

However for completeness, I would like to run through the exercise of using the translate tool chain. Right now, select is a function. I figure implementing Select as a language feature would be a good way to familarise myself better with the PyPy framework at a deeper level. However I am not sure where to start. Where is the parser? Do I create new opt codes? Is this doable for a newbie in a month?

Cheers,
Andrew