[pypy-dev] EuroPython Talk on Stackless.py and Questions

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 15:49:18 CEST 2010

Hi Maciej:

--- On Tue, 6/1/10, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:

> Completely not answering your question (I don't know), but
> clarifying.PyPy has no active developer working on stackless features.
> However, that does not mean that pypy's priority for stackless
> features is low. We're definitely going to support developments in that
> direction (at least those that make sense in our opinion of course :)

I don't know if this clarifies things but my changes have been to
stackless.py, the API. I added the ability to monitor many channels at
once, a la Newsqueak/Limbo/Go. This should not break existing code (so far it doesn't but I need to write more tests). I also want to starting to play with join conditions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Join-calculus) and pattern matching.

However I want to get deeper into PyPy. I would like to implement Select as a language feature as an exercise rather than an actual change to the language. I am looking the Javascript and Smalltalk VMs but I don't know where to start for Python itself. Also I wouldn't mind learning more about the stackless transform.

Cheers,
Andrew