[pypy-dev] EuroPython Talk on Stackless.py and Questions

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 14:39:53 CEST 2010

Hi Carl:

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:59:21 +0200
From: Carl Friedrich Bolz <cfbolz at gmx.de>
Subject: Re: [pypy-dev] EuroPython Talk on Stackless.py and Questions
To: pypy-dev at codespeak.net

>What exactly do you mean by "language feature"?

As in alter the syntax of Python

> I assume that select is so far simply a function that lives in >stackless.py, right?

Yes.

> I don't really see what other form select could take, so I also
> don't see in what way you want to change the language.

The Newsqueak/Limbo/Go family of languages show select and channels
can be implemented as language features. It is from Limbo, where
Stackless Python gets channels.

>The bytecode interpreter and the parser live in interpreter/, the object
>implementations in objspace/std/ and the modules in modules/.

Thanks. I found it and started to look at it.

> Also I wouldn't
> mind learning more about the stackless transform.

>Again, the stackless transformation doesn't really need to be touched to
>implement select.

True. However I would like to learn how the stackless transform works.

Cheers,
Andrew