[pypy-dev] EuroPython Talk on Stackless.py and Questions

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 15:13:26 CEST 2010

Hi Armin:

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 16:19:56 +0200
From: Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>
Subject: Re: [pypy-dev] EuroPython Talk on Stackless.py and Questions
To: Carl Friedrich Bolz <cfbolz at gmx.de>
Cc: pypy-dev at codespeak.net

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 03:59:21PM +0200, Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:

> > However I want to get deeper into PyPy. I would like to implement
> > Select as a language feature as an exercise rather than an actual
> > change to the language.
>
>> What exactly do you mean by "language feature"?

>More precisely, I should say that this kind of changes to the syntax and
>bytecode compiler are *really* uninteresting from our point of view.
>PyPy is indeed about language implementations, but not about the
>syntactic level.  There are nice existing tools about generating parsers
>in various languages; and as each of them has some issues with the
Python language, we just wrote the parser and compiler by hand and
>happily forgot about it.

Armin, I understand. However I am approaching this from another angle. I
view myself as an application programmer. I know the Stackless API
relatively well and its algorithms. Enough to implement select (not
hard). Outside of selecting the right switches for translate.py or just
sticking to greenlets, there really isn't much PyPy to learn, unless
I decide to re-write parts specifically in RPython for speed. I may
do this so I can better acquaint myself with PyPy.

Implementing select is an important exercise because it is a stepping stone for me (and hopefully others) to experiment with more
exotic features. For example, I am becoming interested in Complex Event
Processing that has pattern matching rules. One may want language features to support those. So I am interested in the low level details of how to alter PyPy's implementation of Python syntax. Maybe to help in the exercise, it would be nice if I can get advice about what exactly what
I needed to change. Getting advice from Carl and Stephan about using
greenlets *radically* speed up my ability to implement stackless.py -
I would never figure that out on my own.

Cheers,
Andrew