[pypy-dev] virtualenv support and directory hierarchy

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 10:29:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

I also don't like too much to have a hardcoded version number, but when I
asked for alternatives nobody suggested anything.

On IRC, amaury suggested to install the whole pypy distribution in its
self-contained directory, more or less as cpython does on windows.
I didn't think about this solution, but now I see that it might be a good one,
as it would allow to have the same hierarchy on svn checkouts, user-specific
installations and system-wide installations.

The drawback is that it's a bit non-standard on unix; moreover, if we install
pypy in say /opt/pypy1.2, it would be hard to put a binary in /usr/bin without
hardcoding the path to pypy1.2 somewhere.

So, for me there are four possible solutions:

1) leave things as they are on branch/sys-prefix and have the version number
hardcoded in svn

2) put the whole distribution in its own directory, as jython or cpython on
windows.  This has the open problem of determining where the directory is, as
described above

3) don't hardcode the version number in svn, but add a special case to
virtualenv to detect if we are inside a pypy checkout to handle it specially

4) don't care about running virtualenv inside a pypy checkout

Personally, I would exclude (4): I think that it would be very cool for people
to try pypy in a sandboxed virtualenv without having to install it, and it
would be useful to us too.

So, before I do more work, I'd like to hear what people think and which of the
alternatives they prefer.

ciao,
Anto