[pypy-dev] New speed.pypy.org version

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 10:11:33 CEST 2010

Hi Miquel,
I'm quite busy (because of a paper deadline next Tuesday), sorry for
not answering earlier.

I was just struck by an idea: there is a stacked bar plot where the
total bar is related to the geometric mean, such that it is
normalization-invariant. But this graph _is_ complicated.

It is a stacked plot of _logarithms_ of performance ratios? This way,
the complete stacked bar shows the logarithm of the product, rather
than their sum, i.e. the log of the (geometric mean)^N rather than
their arithmetic mean. log of the (geometric mean)^N = N*log of the
(geometric mean).

Some simple maths (I didn't write it out, so please recheck!) seems to
show that showing (a+b*log (ratio)), instead of log(ratio), gives
still a fair comparison, obtaining N*a+b*N*log(geomean) =
\Theta(log(geomean)). You need to put a and b because showing if the
ratio is 1, log(1) is zero (b is the representation scale which is
always there).

About your workaround: I would like a table with the geometric mean of
the ratios, where we get the real global performance ratio among the
interpreters. As far as the results of your solution do not contradict
that _real_ table, it should be a reasonable workaround (but I would
embed the check in the code - otherwise other projects _will be_
bitten by that). Probably, I would like the website to offer such a
table to users, and I would like a graph of the overall performance
ratio over time (actually revisions).

Finally, the docs of your web application should at the very least
reference the paper and this conversation (if there's a public archive
of the ML, as I think), and ideally explain the issue.

Sorry for being too dense, maybe - if I was unclear, please tell me
and I'll answer next week.

Best regards,
Paolo