[pypy-dev] gsoc for pypy...

René Dudfield renesd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 19:06:25 CET 2010

hello again.

To start the gsoc ideas list off...

- port jit to 64 bit (maybe too short for 3 month project, if so start on
ARM after amd64?).
- speed up ctypes wrapper.
- GIL removal work.
- python2.6/2.7/py3k features.
- ctypes bindings for database adaptors (would be good for ironpython,
jython, and even cpython too).
- faster ctypes module.  (by using jit?)
- cpython bridge module.  Either load pypy as cpython extension or the
otherway around.  To allow gradual porting.
- ironclad port to pypy.  To allow loading cpython C extensions.  eg,
ironpython can run numpy with this.
- revive javascript/flex backend.
- improvements to java/.net backend.
- AOT compilation research - to allow compiling to iphone for example.

I guess this list could also be put on a page looking for sponsors?  To give
sponsors something concrete they can pay a contract for.  eg, 'approximately
2-3 months work(24,000 euros) to get X benefit, as well as a logo+link on
our sponsors page... etc.'

Anyway... those are some of the areas I can think of from past discussions.
I'm sure pypy project members have a better idea of what would be good for
gsoc students to work on?

cu,