[pypy-dev] gsoc for pypy...

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 19:38:33 CET 2010

Hey.

Thanks for posting that! I think it makes sense to discuss a bit
whether stuff makes or does not make sense.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:06 AM, René Dudfield <renesd at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello again.
>
> To start the gsoc ideas list off...
>
> - port jit to 64 bit (maybe too short for 3 month project, if so start on
> ARM after amd64?).

Not sure if it's too short. It's too short for core dev 3 month
project, but for student it's ideal.

> - speed up ctypes wrapper.

A bit hard, but also JIT-cooperation.

> - GIL removal work.

Hard/researchy

> - python2.6/2.7/py3k features.
> - ctypes bindings for database adaptors (would be good for ironpython,
> jython, and even cpython too).

that's not strictly pypy-related. I would like such projects to be
under PSF umbrella. Also there is a question of maintainability.

> - cpython bridge module.  Either load pypy as cpython extension or the
> otherway around.  To allow gradual porting.
> - ironclad port to pypy.  To allow loading cpython C extensions.  eg,
> ironpython can run numpy with this.

This is probably interesting, might also be a bit hard.

> - revive javascript/flex backend.

please no :)

> - improvements to java/.net backend.

Honestly, we had problems with maintability of new backends. Also .net
is sort of done (except .net bindings).

> - AOT compilation research - to allow compiling to iphone for example.

that's research, possibly interesting though.

> I guess this list could also be put on a page looking for sponsors?  To give
> sponsors something concrete they can pay a contract for.  eg, 'approximately
> 2-3 months work(24,000 euros) to get X benefit, as well as a logo+link on
> our sponsors page... etc.'

Sure. Although note that so far we did not get any feedback on
sponsoring blog post.

> Anyway... those are some of the areas I can think of from past discussions.
> I'm sure pypy project members have a better idea of what would be good for
> gsoc students to work on?

How about investigating (again) llvm jit backend?

Thanks for starting the discussion!

Cheers,
fijal