[pypy-dev] slow benchmark?

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Sat Mar 13 13:15:20 CET 2010

Hi Waldemar,

2010/3/13 Waldemar Kornewald <wkornewald at freenet.de>:
> Hi,
> maybe I'm doing something totally wrong, but the attached trivial
> benchmark runs several times slower than on CPython. I've tested it
> with the Windows binary from your website. Your other benchmarks run
> fast, BTW. Is there something wrong with my code?

This benchmark is completely dominated by multiplying long integers.
This is nothing that our JIT can speed up, since the multiplication is
implemented in RPython (in CPython it is equivalently implemented in
C). While we use the same algorithm as CPython, we probably have some
overheads that make us slower by a constant factor. This might be
fixable, if we find somebody who is interested in looking at it.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich