[pypy-dev] GSoC Project/Bachelor's Thesis

kai.aras kai.aras.010 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 25 05:00:36 CET 2010

Hi Everyone,

My name is Kai Aras, I'm a Computer-Science student from Germany and
I'm very interested in doing my Bachelor's Thesis on PyPy and possibly
also combine that with a GSoC project.

I became aware of the PyPy-Project by the Chaosradio Express (CRE088)
episode about PyPy from 2008.
Last year, I had the opportunity to take some time to play around with
PyPy in order to present it at my University, ever since that I became
more and more attracted to the Python Language and the PyPy-Project
itself, so writing my Bachelor's Thesis about something PyPy-related
occured to me quite early.
Now, as the time has come, combining my Thesis with a GSoC Project
would be a great opportunity.

During the last year, I've worked on a smarthome project using CPython
on embedded-linux platforms,
as the project grew bigger, more and more problems arised and the need
for some spezialized Python Runtime grew bigger as well.

I know that targeting Embedded Platforms was an Issue in the original
EU-Project and there was that Maemo thing last year, so I'm guessing
this could be a general topic for a GSoC Project as well as a
Bachelor's Thesis, what do you guys think ? Is this something you
would like to see as well ?
Personally, I'd love to use PyPy on openWRT, could this might be a
target of general interest ?

This is just something I thought about from time to time but never
really had the time to experiment with, so I'm open to all
suggestions, please let me know if you have any ideas that could be
suitable for such a project.

Thanks,
Kai