[pypy-dev] GSoC Project/Bachelor's Thesis

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 15:34:55 CET 2010

Hello.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
> Hi Kai,
>
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 05:00:36AM +0100, kai.aras wrote:
>> I know that targeting Embedded Platforms was an Issue in the original
>> EU-Project and there was that Maemo thing last year, so I'm guessing
>> this could be a general topic for a GSoC Project as well as a
>> Bachelor's Thesis, what do you guys think ? Is this something you
>> would like to see as well ?
>
> I am afraid there is a gap (larger than ever) between the small amount
> of "core people" and the large amount of directions we could explore.
> Thank you for your interest; by no mean I intend to disappoint you, but
> there is just no-one working on the general topic of embedding PyPy any
> longer.  So it is very unlikely that you can get a SoC project on it.

I think I would like to expand on that. In the past we had a bit of
problems with people doing work for SoC and then abandoning a working
prototype. Since it was out of interest of a core group, we just
killed the code or moved it to some obscure place at some later point.
In a way, we would like to encourage people to do some work which is
more of a core interest (at least for SoC) and if in doubt, we would
choose such people.

That said, personally I would encourage you to investigate this
direction for your bachelor if you feel like it. For example the idea
of having a JIT on embedded devices is for example a very researchy
area, since you need memory for the JIT (which is not free on embedded
devices).

Cheers,
fijal