[pypy-dev] GSoC Project/Bachelor's Thesis

kai.aras kai.aras.010 at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 30 01:11:24 CEST 2010

Hi Armin, Hi Maciej,

first of all, thanks for your feedback and sorry for the late reply.

On Mar 25, 2010, at 3:34 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
>> Hi Kai,
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 05:00:36AM +0100, kai.aras wrote:
>>> I know that targeting Embedded Platforms was an Issue in the
>>> original
>>> EU-Project and there was that Maemo thing last year, so I'm guessing
>>> this could be a general topic for a GSoC Project as well as a
>>> Bachelor's Thesis, what do you guys think ? Is this something you
>>> would like to see as well ?
>>
>> I am afraid there is a gap (larger than ever) between the small
>> amount
>> of "core people" and the large amount of directions we could explore.
>> Thank you for your interest; by no mean I intend to disappoint you,
>> but
>> there is just no-one working on the general topic of embedding PyPy
>> any
>> longer.  So it is very unlikely that you can get a SoC project on it.

I totally get that, no problem. It looks like I wont be able to make
it in time for a SoC anyway.
However, if you don't think this is a complete dead-end, I'd still
like to experiment with that for my Bachelor's Thesis,
otherwise please let me know.

> I think I would like to expand on that. In the past we had a bit of
> problems with people doing work for SoC and then abandoning a working
> prototype. Since it was out of interest of a core group, we just
> killed the code or moved it to some obscure place at some later point.
> In a way, we would like to encourage people to do some work which is
> more of a core interest (at least for SoC) and if in doubt, we would
> choose such people.
>
> That said, personally I would encourage you to investigate this
> direction for your bachelor if you feel like it. For example the idea
> of having a JIT on embedded devices is for example a very researchy
> area, since you need memory for the JIT (which is not free on embedded
> devices).
>
> Cheers,
> fijal

Looking into the JIT sounds quite interesting to me too, thanks for
bringing that up.
I don't have a huge background in this field, so I  wouldn't really
know how to get started on this,
maybe you could point me in the right direction here, any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kai