[pypy-dev] Rough draft of x86-64 JIT backend GSoC proposal

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 17:14:53 CEST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Jason Creighton <jcreigh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am a student planning on applying to GSoC to create an x86-64 backend
> for the JIT. I have a (very) rough draft of my proposal, and I was
> hoping to get some feedback on it.
>
> Specifically, I'm wondering about operating system support. I've written
> the proposal as if I would support Linux/Mac OS X/Windows.

That would be great to have, but I would be happy enough to have it on
linux. Let's say that if pypy continues to work on os x and windows
you'll fix remaining 64bit JIT bugs.

> I would be developing on Linux, so I think we can assume that would be
> fairly well supported, but obviously I would like it to work on Mac OS X
> and Windows as well. (I'm not sure if I would have the time/motivation
> to care about obscure BSDs). OTOH, if there are already a lot of
> outstanding issues on one of those platforms, I don't know that I would
> be able to get it working. So what do you think would be a reasonable
> goal here?

It's not like pypy works on anything else than linux os x and windows.

> Secondly, my timeline is pretty vague. The PSF proposal template
> recommends a week-by-week timeline, but honestly, I'm not sure how the
> time usage would break down. Any comments on that would be greatly
> appreciated.

I think week based planning is ridiculous. That may be done for some
simpler stuff, but not for this. I would say have some milestones, but
avoid precise timing.

> Here's the draft:
>
> === Proposal ===
>
> The PyPy JIT, which has shown substantial performance improvements over
> CPython, often several times faster, does not currently support the
> x86-64 instruction set, making it impractical to use on 64-bit x86
> systems.

and over unladen swallow.

> My proposal is to extend the existing x86 JIT backend to support x86-64
> as well.
>
> === Deliverables ===
>
> Stable, tested 64-bit JIT for PyPy on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows merged
> into PyPy trunk.
>
> === Implementation plan ===
>
> This is not a research proposal. The goal is simply to have a PyPy JIT
> that works out of the box on 64-bit CPUs, implemented as conservatively
> as possible.
>
> As such, I will attempt to reuse as much of the existing x86 backend
> that I can. In fact, the architectural similarities between x86 and
> x86-64 are large enough that I hope to implement a unified x86/x86-64
> backend with the majority of the code working for either platform.
>
> There is an existing branch that, while very incomplete, has the
> beginnings of a unified x86/x86-64 instruction encoding module. I intend
> to use that branch as a starting point.
>
> Rough outline:
>
> 1. Take the existing "remove-ri386-multimethod-2" branch and use it as a
> basis for instruction encoding.
>
> 2. Port the existing 32-bit backend to use the new instruction encoding
> scheme.
>
> 3. Add 64-bit support to the backend,
>         A) Modify register allocator to use new general purpose and
>         floating point registers.
>         B) Port "ResOperation" operations to 64-bit
>         C) Port guard failure handling to 64-bit
>
> 4. Test 64-bit on Mac OS X and Windows and fix inevitable issues.

There is also part about asmgcc.