[pypy-dev] recent speed results

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Thu May 6 15:51:31 CEST 2010

On 11:05 am, arigo at tunes.org wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 07:59:17PM -0600, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
>>Anyone has any clue where recent noise comes from? I could not
>>pinpoint any single revision.
>
>That really looks like some external factor, e.g. the machine is
>overloaded.  Maybe we should move benchmarking to tannit.  It would
>mean
>that the results cannot be followed across the move, but at least
>tannit
>is a non-virtual machine on which we can ensure some consistent total
>usage.
>
>The drawback of picking tannit is that it's unclear what will occur to
>it after the end of the current funding period.  Other choices have
>other drawbacks -- e.g. wyvern is old (and not representative of
>today's
>performance) and might die unexpectedly any year now.

What else is on the machine that's causing it to be overloaded now?

I'd suggest temporarily disabling or moving all of that first, getting a
few benchmark runs that show there hasn't been a performance regression,
and then considering moving the benchmarks to a new machine.  Otherwise
if there has been a performance regression, the move will just hide it.

Jean-Paul