[pypy-dev] Building pypy on freebsd 64bit

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Tue May 11 19:49:15 CEST 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 2:35 PM, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 19:31, Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 11, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Shadrin Eugene wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I tryed to build pypy on the freebsd, 64bit platform, but failed.
>>
>> First of all I downloaded a 32bit-Python to run pypy.
>>
>> You need a 64 bit python to translate a 64bit pypy, so use a 64 bit cpython
>> that comes with freebsd if you want to do the translation.
>> And remember, the JIT is 32bit only for now.
> But can't one build, that way, a 32bit PyPy on a 64bit platform (to
> use the JIT)? I remember seeing directions to use a 32bit Python on
> the website.
> --
> Paolo Giarrusso

Ahh I didn't understod that the poster wanted a 32 bit pypy.

If that is the case then you need to do all that is necessary to compile 32 bit binaries in your system. I don't know how that works in freebsd but it can involve having another compiler, a 32bit python, and a ton o 32bit libraries (maybe even a 32bit chroot). I found this on google but seems pretty old:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2007-November/010466.html

[]'s

--
Leonardo Santagada