[pypy-dev] Migration to mercurial

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 17:30:02 CET 2010

Hi all,

as some of you might have noticed by watching the IRC channel, we are finally
migrating to mercurial.  The actual conversion of the repository will happen
at some point during next week (or maybe the week after).

One issue that we have to care about is how to convert the author names: in
the current svn repository each author is simply indicated by its codespeak
username, while with mercurial this is no longer possible as there is no
longer a "centralized" server where everyone has an account.

In mercurial an author is just a string, but the standard way is put both the
real name and a valid email address to uniquely identify the author.  This is
exploited by websites like e.g. bitbucket to link the author of the commit to
the bitbucket user.

For doing the conversion, we will use the following usermap:
http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/planning/hg-migration/usermap.txt

By default, we map each username to its real name, as found in the /etc/passwd
file on codespeak.net.  Because of the reasons I explained above, I strongly
recommend everyone to put its email address there, so that it will be there in
the final mercurial repository.

If for any reason you don't want your real name to be in the mercurial
repository, please kill the corresponding line in the file.

Note that it won't be possible to change the info after the conversion has
been made.

ciao,
Anto