[pypy-dev] Advice on Compiling Pypy-c for debugging (Stackless support)

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 18:40:39 CET 2010

Hi Leonardo:

--- On Sat, 11/13/10, Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [pypy-dev] Advice on Compiling Pypy-c for debugging (Stackless support)
> To: "Andrew Francis" <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>
> Cc: pypy-dev at codespeak.net
> Date: Saturday, November 13, 2010, 6:39 AM

> I still can't see how the greenlet for cpython could
> possibly work on pypy. If you are talking about
> http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/stackless.html#greenlets
> then I think the "only" problem is that it doesn't work with the
> jit right?

As I have stated in earlier posts, I am a newbie. However I want to help with Maciej Fijalkowski's suggestions about integrating Stackless with the JIT. I figured a way to start is to see what it would take to get greenlet style hard switching done. Since greenlet is a C extension, let's be naive, compile it and pypy-c, run it in a debugger and see exactly how it fails. Besides reading the documentation inside the greenlet.c source, I can take a similar approach with Standard C - that is run it in a debugger and see what happens. This way I get a feel for the issues and get familiar with the tools.

Maybe trying to work off the greenlet source will prove to be too difficult.

Right now, I have a computer that will compile pypy-c. However it takes a long time. I just want to make sure that everything is in place to carry out my plan. Also it would be nice if folks can spot problems in the approach. I know I need to learn more about stuff like shadow stacks. Also I have started to read documentation on the bytecode interpreter.

Cheers,
Andrew