[pypy-dev] gdbm

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 04:30:11 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:

> In a message of Tue, 16 Nov 2010 02:22:56 +0100, "Amaury Forgeot d'Arc"
> writes:
> >Hi,
> >
> >2010/11/16 Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com>:
> >> I've put together a gdbm wrapper module using ctypes, and tested agains
> >> pypy with the included test_gdbm.  Is there interest in adding it to pyp
> >y?
> >>
> >> It's at http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/svn/gdbm-ctypes/trunk/ if anyone
> >wants
> >> to look it over.
> >
> >I don't know exactly what gdbm is, but it looks very similar to dbm.py
> >already in pypy:
> >http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/trunk/lib_pypy/dbm.py
>
> Both gdbm and dbm are part of the python standard library, so I'd guess
> we'd
> better have both of them.
>
> http://docs.python.org/library/gdbm.html
>
> Laura
>
> Sounds good to me :)

BTW, it might cause confusion down the road to call something that is
basically like cpython's bsddb (Berkeley DB) by the name "dbm" in pypy's
library.  In the cpython standard library, "dbm" is an interface to ndbm
databases.  These all provide the same dictionary-like interface to Python
programs, but have somewhat different API's to C, and pretty different,
incompatible on-disk representations.