[pypy-dev] Question on the future of RPython

Saravanan Shanmugham sarvi at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 07:54:02 CEST 2010

I understand from various threads here,  that RPython is not for general purpose
use.
Why this lack of Focus on general use.

I am looking at this and I am thinking and comparing this to a corporation that
is working on this awesome product.

They are so focused on this awesome final product vision that they fail to
realize the awesome potential of some if its intermediate side deliverables.

PyPy is definitely gaining momentum.
But as a strategy to build that momentum, and gain new converts it should put
some focus on some of its niche strengths.
Things other python implementions cannot do.

One such niche is its RPython and RPython Compiler.
No other python implementation can convert python programs to executables.
I am seeing growing interest in writing Rpython code for performance critical
code and even potentially compiling it to binaries.

http://olliwang.com/2009/12/20/aes-implementation-in-rpython/
http://alexgaynor.net/2010/may/15/pypy-future-python/

Is it possible the PyPy team may be understating the significance of RPython?
Am I crazy to think this way? :-)

Sarvi