[pypy-dev] Question on the future of RPython

Jacob Hallén jacob at openend.se
Thu Sep 2 11:40:45 CEST 2010

Thursday 02 September 2010 you wrote:
> I understand from various threads here,  that RPython is not for general
> purpose use.
> Why this lack of Focus on general use.
>
> I am looking at this and I am thinking and comparing this to a corporation
> that is working on this awesome product.
>
> They are so focused on this awesome final product vision that they fail to
> realize the awesome potential of some if its intermediate side
> deliverables.
>
> PyPy is definitely gaining momentum.
> But as a strategy to build that momentum, and gain new converts it should
> put some focus on some of its niche strengths.
> Things other python implementions cannot do.
>
> One such niche is its RPython and RPython Compiler.
> No other python implementation can convert python programs to executables.
> I am seeing growing interest in writing Rpython code for performance
> critical code and even potentially compiling it to binaries.
>
> http://olliwang.com/2009/12/20/aes-implementation-in-rpython/
> http://alexgaynor.net/2010/may/15/pypy-future-python/
>

> Is it possible the PyPy team may be understating the significance of
> RPython? Am I crazy to think this way? :-)

RPython was tried in a production environment some years ago and while it
produced some very nice results, it was quite difficult to work with. Dealing
with those difficulties requires a group of people who are willing to build
RPython code for general applications, run the code and identify what the
difficulties actually are. Then they need to come up with strategies for how
to remedy the problems and implement them in code. This is a very large
undertaking for which Pypy does not have the manpower.. It also reqires people
who are interested in building support for compiled programming languages.
Pypy is a volunteer effort and the only person who was interested in this has
retired from the project.

Jacob Hallén