[pypy-dev] PyPy JIT and Django

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 20:42:10 CEST 2010

On 09/09/10 20:32, Andy wrote:
> Would this replace my existing Python interpretor with PyPy? I want to keep my existing Python.

well, no: if you run pypy setup.py install on whatever package, what happens
is that you install this package in pypy's site-package directory instead of
cpython's one.

> I'd like to have the option to choose either the standard CPython or PyPy. I could set up 2 vrtualenvs I suppose - 1 for CPython and 1 for PyPy. Does PyPy work with virtualenv?

yes, pypy supports virtualenv but:

1) you need a pypy newer than pypy 1.3: you can build one by yourself from
svn, or download one of our nightly builds:
http://buildbot.pypy.org/nightly/trunk/

note that you probably want the one with -jit and -linux in it, which is a 32
bit executable. There is no pypy-jit for linux 64 bit yet (but it might be
there soon).

2) you need a recent version of virtualenv, as pypy support has been added
only recently (http://bitbucket.org/ianb/virtualenv/changeset/a03cb042dd81).
AFAIK, no released version supports it, so you need to install/run it from the
mercurial repository.

ciao,
Anto