[pypy-dev] Fwd: PyPy to generate C/C++ code

Saravanan Shanmugham sarvi at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 00:45:11 CEST 2010

This gives us an opportunity to define a more general purpose definition of
RPython.

Based on previous threads, RPython as currently defined in PyPy is up for
general use.
And the team seems to have no interest in exploring this RPython for general
use.
And to be honest I can see some extent why.
Keeps it simple and domain specific for the purpose of language definition which
is PyPy's goals.

So my intent is to instead go for more general purpose RPython, by starting with
Shedskin's definition of Restricted Python, which is pretty close to PyPy's
RPython
Refer to Hart's comparison
here. http://groups.google.com/group/shedskin-discuss/browse_thread/thread/a8b473f0b4b52217

Why port shedskin onto PyPy.
   1. See if PyPy as a language definition framework can be used generate
compilers and not just Interpreters.
   2. Leverage the C++ code under shedskin/lib to quickly get to that goal.
   3. I am thinking bringing them together will bring more interest and momentum
to both PyPy but more importantly a general purpose Restricted Python Compiler.

Sarvi