[pypy-dev] [pypy-svn] r77083 - pypy/branch/jitffi

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 08:57:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 15/09/10 18:18, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
> Hey anto.
>
> There was a SoC about that, I guess it would be good to chat about it
> at least (personally I think jitting rlib/libffi is exactly bad layer
> to be jitted and some experiments were done).

yes, I read the code in the fast-ctypes branch but I wanted to take another
(simpler) approach.  Note that my goal is not only to speed up ctypes, but
also to provide a useful building block for cppyy (the module to call c++
functions that we started at the cern sprint).

My basic idea was to mark libffi.FuncPtr.{push_arg,call} in a special way, so
that the backend can recognize the pattern (i.e. push* + call) and emit a
single assembler call.

I even started to write a bit of code, but then I realized that libffi.FuncPtr
is not used at all, as _rawffi uses RawFuncPtr: the bad news is that
RawFuncPtr uses a different interface, as it does not have push_arg but passes
the arguments already packed in a list, so my easy solution above cannot work.
  Note however that doing it at the level of FuncPtr might still be useful for
cppyy.

Question: why does _rawffi use RawFuncPtr instead of FuncPtr? Would it be
possible/easy/hard/whatever to switch to FuncPtr?

ciao,
Anto