[pypy-dev] Readiness of asmgcc for x86_64 linux?

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 18:54:16 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Gary Robinson <garyrob at me.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw the PyPy Status Blog post mentioning that there is a working asmgcc for x86_64 linux. I wonder if you could clarify the status of it a bit further. The last thing Jason Creighton wrote on the subject that I can find, from Aug 13, was: "...the bottom line is that the main goal of my GSoC was accomplished: A working 64-bit PyPy JIT. Hopefully I'll be able to complete asmgcc-64, and make the JIT even faster..."
>
> But the new Status Blog post says " It not only includes working 64bit JIT (merged into PyPy trunk), but also a working asmgcc for x86_64 linux platform, that makes it possible to run the JIT on this architecture with our advanced garbage collectors"
>
> So it sounds like he (or someone) DID get the Linux version of it working. Has it been merged into the trunk? Does it seem stable? You say: "Expect this to be a major selling point for the next PyPy release :-)"  Do you have an estimate of when that'll come out?
>
> I'm looking forward to testing PyPy for some of our music recommendation code. The main thing holding me back so far is the lack of 64-bit support.
>
> The other thing in the way is that I need to use multiple cores. I can home-grow a solution for my needs, but it would be great if the python multiprocessing library were to be supported. I see "r77223 - in  pypy/branch/fast-forward/pypy/module/_multiprocessing: . test" in the svn commit log, dated Tuesday of this week (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.pypy.cvs/29865)... I'm hoping that means it's going to be supported soon? That would be really great.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary
>
> --
>
> Gary Robinson
> CTO
> Emergent Discovery, LLC
> personal email: garyrob at me.com
> work email: grobinson at emergentdiscovery.com
> Company: http://www.emergentdiscovery.com
> Blog:    http://www.garyrobinson.net

Yes, 64-bit support for asmgcc as merged, however there appears to be
a performance issue with it, it's not nearly as fast as it should be.

multiproccessing was added to the stdlib in 2.6, we have a
fast-forward branch that's aiming to implement 2.7, so when it's
released it will contain a multiprocessing module.

Alex

--
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your
right to say it." -- Voltaire