[pypy-dev] Pypy custom interpreter JIT question

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 00:00:53 CEST 2011

On 31/03/11 22:05, Andrew Brown wrote:

> python double-interpreted: > 78m (did not finish)
> pypy-c (with jit) double-interpreted: 41m 34.528s

this is interesting. We are beating cpython by more than 2x even in a "worst
case" scenario, because interpreters in theory are not a very good target for
tracing JITs.
However, it's not the first time that we experience this, so it might be that
this interpreter/tracing JIT thing is just a legend :-)

> translated interpreter no jit: 45s
> translated interpreter jit: 7.5s
> translated direct to C, gcc -O0
>   translate: 0.2s
>   compile: 0.4s
>   run: 18.5s
> translated direct to C, gcc -O1
>   translate: 0.2s
>   compile: 0.85s
>   run: 1.28s
> translated direct to C, gcc -O2
>   translate: 0.2s
>   compile: 2.0s
>   run: 1.34s

these are cool as well. We are 3x faster than gcc -O0 and ~3x slower than -O1
and -O2.  Pretty good, I'd say :-)

ciao,
anto