[pypy-dev] minimum system requirements, build configuration

Liam Staskawicz lstask at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 07:25:47 CEST 2011

Hi - I've been looking at pypy as a possible application runtime in an ARM9 Linux based system. I understand that the in-progress ARM jit backend targets only ARMv7, but I'm still interested in characterizing a translated pypy-c interpreter on this system with regard to CPU and memory usage. Of course I look forward to possible ARMv5 support for the jit in the future, but if I've understood correctly, fully interpreted mode should be supported - please let me know if this is not correct!

To that end, are there minimum recommended system requirements for pypy, specifically in terms of memory? As a reference, something like the Mono 'Small Footprint' wiki page applied to pypy would be what I'm looking for: http://www.mono-project.com/Small_footprint

On a related note, most of the build config info I've come across seems to revolve around a scratchbox2 build environment targeting maemo - indeed it seems to be the main other 'platform' option in the pypy build script, other than 'host'. Is there any particularly tight coupling between maemo and pypy, or should I hope to be able to set up a generic sbox2 environment for my target and come away with a working build? Are there any other docs or config snippets that detail how to set up a generic cross compile environment for pypy?

Thanks for any tips or relevant info!

Liam