[pypy-dev] PyPy in the benchmarks game - yes or no?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Apr 5 09:59:29 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:23 AM, Isaac Gouy <igouy2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A simple yes / no question.
> Do you want PyPy to be shown in the benchmarks game or not?

Sorry for missing general knowledge of what you mean by "benchmarks
game".  According to Google, it is probably what I know as the
language shootout (shootout.alioth.debian.org).  Is it the case?

Assuming it is, then my position is pretty much the same as William
Leslie: I have little interest if the benchmarks that PyPy runs with
are written in completely non-idiomatic ways, super hand-optimized for
CPython, for the reasons explained in detail by William.  It would be
interesting, however, if you accept versions rewritten in "just plain
Python".