[pypy-dev] PyPy in the benchmarks game - yes or no?

Isaac Gouy igouy2 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 22:38:48 CEST 2011

--- On Tue, 4/5/11, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:

> what I know as the language shootout (shootout.alioth.debian.org).
> Is it the case?

The project was renamed back on 20th April 2007

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?GreatComputerLanguageShootout

> Assuming it is, then my position is pretty much the same as
> William Leslie: I have little interest if the benchmarks that
> PyPy runs with are written in completely non-idiomatic ways,
> super hand-optimized for CPython, for the reasons explained in
> detail by William.  It would be interesting, however, if you
> accept versions rewritten in "just plain Python".

I have no objection to programs written in "just plain Python" - just as I have no objection to programs written "in completely non-idiomatic ways, super hand-optimized for CPython".

However, unless there was something interesting about them - such as PyPy made them fast - they might be weeded out in the future.

In most cases I do have an objection to numpy and to calling C using ctypes - programs have to be more "plain Python" than that.