[pypy-dev] PyPy in the benchmarks game - yes or no?

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 15:34:56 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Isaac Gouy <igouy2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Wed, 4/6/11, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> -snip-
>> We don't get that information now at least, since those
>> benchmarks are badly skewed towards CPython. I know how
>> hard is to find out a reasonable set of benchmarks and how to
>> keep them balanced.
>

> Do you mean the program you contributed is badly skewed towards CPython?
>
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/program.php?test=nbody&lang=pypy&id=1

No

> Do you mean that the n-body problem is badly skewed towards CPython?

No, that would be nonsense. I would never discuss whether those
benchmarks does represent typical workflow in language X because it's
impossible to find such a set that's true for every X. I never did
discuss the choice of problems.

> Your PyPy program is shown as so much faster - how is that "badly skewed towards CPython"?

That's true, but that's one that got through. For example reverse
complement (the current version) is skewed towards CPython. I'm fine
with saying that ctypes (or numpy) are not allowed, with a good
explanation (and maybe an explanation why custom malloc library is
allowed for C and gcbench).

Another question which was raised - are programs that only work on
PyPy allowed? (Due to pypy's extensions or cpython bugs). Since
programs that only compile on GCC clearly are.

Cheers,
fijal