[pypy-dev] PyPy in the benchmarks game - yes or no?

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 04:31:09 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Isaac Gouy <igouy2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> So the position is that GCC is allowed to use extensions
>> because it's the only C implementation shown and PyPy is not,
>> because all Python programs should run on each runtime, is that
>> correct?
>
> I don't see a way to compare CPython and PyPy unless the comparison programs do at least run on both CPython and PyPy (and x86 and x64).

I don't see why this is, it is the same as comparing python to ruby, I
want to see how fast can you make a program in said vm that does the
same task. If the description of the problem doesn't limit what you
can use I really don't see why can't you use a PyPy (or cpython)
extension for it.

For me a shootout without extensions (at least without numpy) is just
comparing how fast a language can do without anything, which is not
interesting at all. One where c programs can use libraries but python
cannot is even more meaningless.

--
Leonardo Santagada