[pypy-dev] Problem with large allocation in test

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Apr 21 13:28:31 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:33 PM,  <pypy at pocketnix.org> wrote:
> i am assuming this is the correct course of action, if i should
> instead not be replacing the original alloc function and just create
> a new alloc_with_hint function and keep/use both let me know

Indeed, you should keep the original function too: the hint parameter
is not used anywhere else in the source code, but it's convenient for
debugging because it means that the JIT-generated code will be
allocated at a known address, instead of randomly.  That's this
function's purpose.

I'm fine if you create another function.  Or if you prefer, you can
change the existing function to take an optional base_addr argument.
This arguments would default to NULL, and if it is NULL then the
function would use the hintp as it does now.