[pypy-dev] PyPy, C/C++ and Wrappyr

Vincent den Boer vincent at shishkabab.net
Fri Aug 12 11:32:46 CEST 2011

Hello evryone,

I've just launched a project on GitHub called Wrappyr that may be of interest to
the PyPy project. It is a collection of tools that can generate Ctypes-based
APIs to C and C++ code. As I understand Ctypes is currently the cleanest way to
communicate with C libraries in PyPy, so this may help replacing CPython
extensions that are needed for more widespread usage of PyPy.

It's available at: https://github.com/ShishKabab/Wrappyr/

It works by:
* Using Clang to export data from a C/C++ header file to XML (I tried GCCXML, but
  it would ignore certain things)
* Using that data to:
- Generate a C API to C++ code if necessary.
- Generate another XML file describing the Python API (which calls should be made
  where, etc).
* And using that XML file to generate Ctypes-based Python code.

It is not finished yet and still needs some basic features to make most libraries
(like the MySQL C API) useful, but I think it's shaping up nicely. For example,
the Hello World example of the Box2D C++ library runs without problems. For more
information on what needs to be done, see TODO.rst in the root of the project.

Kind regards,
Vincent den Boer