[pypy-dev] 1.6 status report

Gabriel Lavoie glavoie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 05:50:18 CEST 2011

Hi David,
     I took a look at your port and it looks good! The patch you made for
SANDBOX should probably not be needed, with a fix upstream. It seems PyPy
still have a few "hardcoded path" issues that need to be looked at for
FreeBSD (and probably for Darwin too for tools like Darwin Ports). I felt on
one of those issues this morning with "expat.h" and "libexpat.so". The
translation process didn't look at /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib to
find them. Actually, there are a few places where the
"pypy/translator/platform" module should be use to find include/lib paths. I
made the initial "freebsd.py" file in there that contains "general"
references to include/lib directories in "/usr/local".

About my current issue, maybe you've seen it. When I try to build PyPy using
CPython, I get a "Broken Pipe" error and the process fails (using the
standard "python translate.py -O2" command). Have you seen this problem
recently? I'm trying with the latest trunk. It seems the "python" process
runs out of memory as I have this in my kernel log:

swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
pid 15107 (cc1), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space
swap_pager: out of swap space
swap_pager_getswapspace(2): failed
pid 37981 (python), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space

PyPy used to build correctly but I haven't tried to build it in the last 6
months...

Gabriel

2011/8/15 David Naylor <naylor.b.david at gmail.com>

> On Monday, 15 August 2011 17:30:33 Gabriel Lavoie wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >     for your information, I'm currently trying to make my FreeBSD
> buildbot
> > back online. It broke when the requirement for the "pypy" binary to build
> > PyPy appeared. It seems there are still some issues to make PyPy build
> > again under FreeBSD. I'll keep you updated.
>
> Thanks for the update.  I have been working on a port for pypy.  The code
> is
> at github.com/DragonSA/pypy.  It may be able to help you compile pypy
> under
> FreeBSD.  There is a branch called 1.6 that is compatible with trunk.  To
> compile from 1.6 set WRKSRC to point to a fresh checkout of pypy:
>
> # make install WRKSRC=/path/to/hg/checkout/of/pypy
>
> The master branch uses the 1.5 sources.

> > > Would anyone be interested in the FreeBSD situation?  If so what
> support
> > > do you need?  I am currently updating my repository and will report
> > > back...

Gabriel Lavoie
glavoie at gmail.com