[pypy-dev] 1.6 status report

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Aug 18 14:45:16 CEST 2011

Hi Gabriel,

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Gabriel Lavoie <glavoie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hum... It seems it's the end of my FreeBSD buildslave. :( I don't know when
> it time the memory requirement jumped to over 4GB (Armin told me it was now
> around 4.5GB for 64bits).

Actually I found out that with proper settings I can run a 64-bit
"translate.py -Ojit" in 3.0GB.  I didn't measure the impact on time
--- I expect it to take "a bit longer" to run, but of course much less
than if it's swapping.  Maybe we need to tweak a bit our default
parameters...

PYPY_GC_MAX_DELTA=200MB pypy --jit loop_longevity=300 ./translate.py -Ojit

I think that tweaks to this environment variable have a direct
predictable effect: e.g. with PYPY_GC_MAX_DELTA=400MB it would take
3.2GB (an extra 200MB), but do half as many major collections,
decreasing the total time.

For reference, running "python2.7 ./translate.py -Ojit" takes 3.4GB.
So it means that *with some tweaks* we run not only faster, but
consuming less memory than CPython, actually.