[pypy-dev] Question about "Completing 'os' module" (issue 833)

Mitchell Hashimoto mitchell.hashimoto at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 18:25:27 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I noticed the 'os' module is incomplete, and I'd like to help complete this.
CPython does this by simply having these methods available on "posix" "nt"
"os2" etc. and the "os" module imports those. It appears that PyPy does the
same thing. I was able to successfully add 'getlogin' as practice, but I
wanted to post here before going further. Some questions below:

1.) Should I mimic CPython and add the functionality to the OS-specific
modules?
2.) I don't have a Windows computer on hand. What is the standard practice
for implementing some stdlib for one OS but not the other? Would PyPy accept
this temporarily?
3.) There are many missing methods, to simplify implementation time and the
patch, would it be okay to submit a patch for each stdlib method, so that
this was built up over time?

I'd love to do this "right" the first time so I can contribute it back, so
this feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Mitchell